Working in the ER, I have seen many versions and degrees of bedside manner, some seem almost too nice, while others are blunt and almost rude. As with everything, I think a doctors bedside manner needs to be a balance of extremes. I'm sure I will eventually develop my own bed side manner with the hours and hours of interviewing patients in med school, and I'm kind of afraid I will be awkward, or too nice and come across as incompetent or a push over, but it is just something you need to practice, and hopefully I will be able to emulate the doctors that I have found memorable and provide a good patient experience.
And maybe tomorrow when I go to get my stitches out at my followup, I'll be able to get more than a 3 minute convo with my surgeon, since I didn't even see him (consciously) on the day of the surgery.
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nellie: I've known you a long time -- and you're NOT a pushover!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Dad